The college was established in the year 1950 with a vision to contribute to the national development by providing quality education. It was founded with the financial help of one lakh rupees from Chaudhary Babu Mahadeo Prasad Trust and thirty five thousand rupees from Thakurani Bhagwati Devi, the daughter of Ch. Mahadeo Prasad.
The college is under the governance of Kayastha Pathshala which is Asia’s biggest trust. The college started with B.Sc. course in 1950 in the building of K.P. Intermediate College. The college was shifted to its present location at Mahatma Gandhi Marg, George Town, Allahabad in 1953 in the Agra Jamindar Association’s Building. In 1955, Faculty of Arts was started in the college. The first Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated the college hostel in 1957 known as Sampoornand Hostel. Faculty of law was started in the year 1972 that shifted to a new campus on Kamla Nehru Marg in 1990. The commerce faculty was started in the year 1976. There is also a separate girls wing at Kamla Nehru Road.
The college is a co-educational institute and it has been associated to the University of Allahabad since its establishment and it became Constituent of the University of Allahabad in 2005 when the central status of the university was restored.
The Institute of Professional Studies of University of Allahabad has permitted one year Diploma in Computer Application (NIELIT 'O' Level) and Diploma in Fashion Designing from the session 2009-10.
The year 2015-16 has bring new milestone in the history of the college, when the University of Allahabad under guidance of Prof. Rattan Lal Hangloo, Vice-Chancellor decided to start Post Graduate Courses in its all constituent colleges. After statutory clearance, the university has allowed post-graduation from session 2016-17 in M.Com; LLM; M.Sc. in Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics; M.A. in Ancient History, Med. History, Economics, Education, English, Geography, Hindi, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit and Sociology.
The college has also got permission to start three year degree course Bechelor of Computer Application (BCA), one year Post-Graduate Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA) and Certificate in Computer Concepts (CCC from NIELIT) from the session 2016-17.
One new UG course in Defence Studies and one year diploma course in Theatre were also started from the session 2017-18
The college firmly believes that education is essential for personal enlightenment and political freedom. Hence, the mission of the college is to provide quality education to enhance all-round intellectual, physical, moral and spiritual development of students. It promotes commitment among student for social upliftment and human values. The college provides under-graduate education in the stream of Arts, Commerce, Science and Law. The college has infrastructure facilities like Library, Gymnasium, Cafeteria, Conference room Auditorium, Lecture theatres, Museum, Botanical Garden, Play ground, Health Centre, Computer centre etc.
About Faculty and staff
There are 215 sanctioned posts of Teachers including one post for Principal, 59 posts of Group –C employees and 81 posts of Group-D employees. Presently, the college has 186 teachers, 16 Group –C employees and 47 Group-D employees. The college has very qualified faculty and good quality of staff.
The college has catered the need of 8711 students of all courses in the academic year 2017-18. Out of which, 6208 students were boys (71%) and 2503 students were girls (29%).
The college is ideally located in the heart of the city at Mahatma Gandhi Marg, George Town. The distance from Bus Station, railway station and Holy Sangam is nearly 2 to 3 KM. One can easily reach the college through Public transport which are regularly available.